How To Store Measuring Cups And Spoons: Organizing Tips
Measuring cups and spoons are essential in getting perfectly baked bread and goodies. But after all the preparation and baking are done, the tricky parts are the cleaning and the storage. Well, not much on cleaning, though, but more on hold. These kitchen utensils are generally many pieces, and they tend to flop around the kitchen cabinet and create a mess. Thus, you must know how to store measuring cups and spoons properly.
Creating Your Storage
Figuring out how to store measuring cups and spoons requires having the proper storage. Instead of rushing to your local shop to purchase one, why don’t you try a DIY project first? Creating this simple yet functional storage solution is not as complicated as you might think. Here’s how to do it:
What You’ll Need:
- 2-5 pieces of wooden paint sticks or one yardstick
- 4 wood screws
- 3/4-inch hooks
- Paint of your preferred color
- Measure the interior of your cupboard, subtracting about a quarter of an inch to give enough space for door access. The measurement you get is what you need for your yardstick.
- Using a miter box and a handsaw, cut your yardstick accordingly.
- Use sanding paper to polish the sticks and give them a smooth finish. Make sure to give extra attention to the ends of the cut. Paint them using any color you prefer. You can also opt to prime them before painting a better color effect.
- To prevent the sticks from splitting, secure them by drilling holes on both ends. Mark the center of your shaft to serve as a guide on where to attach hooks later on.
- Arrange the measuring cups and lay them on the stick. Make sure you give enough space for each of the cups not to overlap with each other. Mark the areas where you want the cups to be.
- Using the marks as a guide, drill a small hole on each one intended for hook placement. The big holes you drilled earlier will keep the wood from splitting.
- Before putting everything together, make sure you check all aspects. The stick should be placed below the shelf for you to access and close the cupboard door. Make sure that the stick is placed on the center of the door. Mark the area where you want your rod to be. Pre-drill holes on your cupboard door; skipping this step can cause damage and might result in permanently changing your cabinet doors- which can be expensive.
- Align the pre-drilled holes on the door with your stick’s pilot holes. Use wood screws to secure them. Find a screw of the right size since one that is shorter or longer won’t be effective. Once mounted, attach the hooks to the small holes made earlier.
Other Forms of Storage
How to store measuring cups and spoons is not only limited to the DIY project presented above. You can also get creative or purchase a ready to mount storage option for convenience. Here are other ways on how to store measuring cups and spoons.
Use a Magnetic Knife Rack
For metal utensils, purchasing a magnetic knife rack is a practical and innovative option. It also gives you a better view of everything you have. You can arrange them in any way you like, and access is also pretty straightforward. You can mount the magnetic rack under your cabinet or wherever you feel most strategic.
Use the Backs of Your Kitchen Cabinet
You can mount a hook set in the back of your cabinet door so that you can easily see your measuring tools when you open the cupboard. You can also hang other kitchen tools for easy access when needed.
Attach the Measuring Utensils to Canisters.
Canisters are intended to keep ingredients like flour and sugar secure and easy to store. To save yourself from always trying to find the right measuring tool, try to attach them in their corresponding canisters or containers.
Pegboards are the modern storage solution. Most people prefer to use them due to their versatile nature. With a pegboard, you can easily alter and switch the hooks' position depending on what kitchen tools you want to store. If you don't want to commit to permanently mounting hooks, then a pegboard is an easy solution for you.
Try Using PVC Pipes
If you have plenty of tubes you don't use anymore, you can use that to tidy up your measuring utensils. Mount PVC pipes to your cabinet doors to serve as containers for your tools.
Storing all your kitchen utensils and tools can be overwhelming, especially when you have limited space. However, being creative and using materials available around you can help you create the perfect storage solution. Learning how to store measuring cups and spoons offers various innovations you can try. See what works best for you and your kitchen space. Know more about measuring tools.
Whether you are baking your favorite baked product, a pot of soup, or preparing something for dinner, you’ll probably need a measuring cup or spoon to follow the recipe accurately.
Measuring cups are an essential cooking instrument that helps ensure the precise amount of every ingredient we use when preparing a perfect and delicious meal.
Measuring cups and spoons can be quite tricky to organize and store as they are always dangling around and getting lost or scattered inside your drawers.