How To Sharpen A Serrated Bread Knife Effectively
Serrated knives are essential for cutting bread. The blades' unique design allows it to cut through without putting much pressure to keep the bread rising and prevent it from becoming flat. Some people might think that serrated knives are impossible to sharpen. However, that's not the case. There are various ways on how to sharpen a serrated bread knife. Nevertheless, cheap knives are not worth the effort of sharpening since they tend to be semi-disposable. When you have invested in a high-quality bread knife, all the sharpening efforts are worth it.
Serrated bread knives are easier to maintain compared to a regular one. That's because its unique design prevents all the blades from coming in contact with the bread, extending their lifespan generally. Also, most good quality serrated knives are made of stainless steel that's rust and corrosion-resistant.
Sharpening Your Serrated Knife
There are three basic methods on how to sharpen a serrated bread knife. The method to use depends significantly on the type of serrated knife you have. Also, the availability of the tools required may influence your choice. Nonetheless, all three methods are tested and proven effective.
Ceramic Sharpening Rod
If you prefer an inexpensive approach, then using a ceramic sharpening rod is the best option. Although this product requires more effort and a bit tiresome to do, it still can give you a favorable outcome. Ceramic rods use a fine grit of 1000 and are generally more rigid than steel. This tool is also used to hone knives for maintenance and preparation for a more thorough sharpening process.
To use a ceramic rod:
- Position the knife away from you for safety.
- Use your ceramic rod to sharpen each serration one by one.
- Instead of using an up and down motion, pull the rod away from the blade using long strokes. If you have a leather strop available, try to go your knife over it to get rid of burrs.
Knife and Tool Sharpener
Using a knife and tool sharpener is a quick and easy way on how to sharpen a serrated bread knife. However, it might not give you a long-term effect. Also, in case your knife gets too dull or damaged, this method won’t help much. But for quick fixes, this can provide a temporary solution. Use a 6000 grit belt to make the blade sharp and polished.
To use a knife and tool sharpener:
- Always refer to your knife and tool sharpener guide to use it since different brands may follow other methods. Also, the type of bread knife you have might alter the general use of your tool.
- Take your 6000 grit belt and install it on the sharpener.
- Taking the non-serrated side of your knife, let it go over the belt in a gentle pulling motion.
Electric Serrated Knife Sharpener
The electric serrated knife sharpener is the most effective way on how to sharpen a serrated bread knife. The reason behind this is, this tool is designed with built-in guides, making sharpening more manageable and more convenient. However, it might not be a practical purchase since it does not cover sharpening all types of knives and other sharp-edged tools.
To use an electric serrated knife sharpener:
- Check the instruction guide and follow through since some models may have different sharpening ways. Generally, this type of sharpener uses the finest grit for a more polished and fine bade.
- Position your serrated knife in the guides and sharpen by pulling each side of your knife through the sharpener approximately 4-5 times each. Alternate each side every time you draw to ensure an even and sharp blade.
Serrated Knives Maintenance and Storage
Knives are generally dishwasher safe; however, tossing them in the dishwasher can quickly dull the blades. Too much water can also cause the handles to loosen a bit. Thus, you must clean them by hand. However, be very careful when doing so, since knives are very sharp.
Knives also get dull easily when stored inappropriately. The friction and bumping with other utensils in the kitchen cabinet might affect the performance of your blades. Some people prefer to use a knife bock for easy and practical storage. Find out more about knives.
Knives play an essential role in the kitchen. That's why it's necessary always to keep them sharpened since a dull blade can be troublesome to use. How to sharpen a serrated bread knife comes in different ways. The tools you use also differ depending on the method you prefer. Overall, maintaining your serrated knife is pretty straightforward to do. Sharpening your knives when needed will extend its life for more extended periods of use.