Disasters strike in every corner of the world every single day. These happenings are usually unexpected. When these things happen, most of us are not prepared. This is the very reason why learning how to prepare food for long term storage is necessary.
Benefits of Long Term Food Storage
As you know it, learning how to prepare food for long term storage has many benefits. They are:
- Preparedness in Emergencies– This is one of the biggest benefits of long term food storage because it prepares you to any type of emergency. In situations like this, going to the mall is impossible. Aside from this, many grocery stores only have enough food for their community.
- Being economical – Knowing how to prepare food for long term storage is a great way to save money. If you are well-stocked with long term food, there’s no need to have frequent visits to the grocery store. Aside from saving up on gas, you are also saving yourself from unplanned purchase of products you might not really need.
- Free from worry – If you have plenty of food in your hand, worrying with what to feed your family during these situations might be the last thing on your list. Instead, you can focus on preparing other things, such as water, clothing, and first aid supplies kit.
Methods of Food Storage
Regardless of the event, knowing how to prepare food for long term storage allows you to survive for extended periods of time and give you peace of mind. Below are some of the unusual methods of food storage:
- Drying Food – One great thing about drying is you can dry almost any food you can think of. Some use professional or commercial food dehydrator while others still use the old method of drying in the oven.
- Blanching – In this method, food usually submerge into boiling water then removed after a few seconds then submerge it immediately to the cold water or placed under cold running water to stop it from cooking. Many people use this on vegetables.
- Pickling– This method is old-fashioned and is indeed used in ancient times, though many people nowadays still use this kind of food preservation. To use pickling on fruits, vegetables, and meat, the combination of acid solution or salt and vinegar is used to preserve them.
- Smoking – Smoking is one way to preserve food. It works because the smoke from burning materials kills the bacteria and other food microorganisms. Aside from preserving, it also gives a smoky flavor which most people really like.
Food is Life!
Food becomes your number one concern when it comes to unexpected situations, like disasters. Learning how to prepare food for long term storage makes sense not only for when a disaster strikes but also for every situation that may occur. Know more about food storage.