How To Measure Food Portions Without a Scale
Whether you are always tracking your food intake or just for accuracy purposes, the best way to go around this is with the help of a weighing scale. But if you don’t have a scale a home, you should know some of the ways in learning how to measure food portions without a scale.
Knowing how to measure food portions without a scale greatly minimizes the error when trying to estimate things. One of the best ways to go about this problem is having measuring cups and spoons. These types of utensils work wonders as a substitute for a weighing scale. To learn more about the alternatives ways of measuring portions, read down below.
Knowing The Guidelines
Before you start estimating your food portion with different items and parts of your body, you need to know the general recommendations; the next one is portioning out your food if you are on a diet. If you are on a diet, life without a foods scales is pretty hard; fortunately, the things that will help you portion out your food are right in front of you.
As American Heart Association says, a healthy adult should eat around four servings of fruits and a maximum of five servings of vegetables. In addition, a healthy adult should have its regular servings of uncooked pasta, rice, cereals, and bread at around six servings. Food that contains fats and oils should be lessened.
Furthermore, servings of protein-source such as meat and eggs should be around eight to nine. Although these numbers may vary from person to person depending on their lifestyle, your health depends on how much you exercise, eat healthy foods, and amount of activity.
Using your hands or household items is the best way on how to measure food portions without a scale.
Easy Ways To Measure Food Portions
There are simple tricks and tips on how to measure food portions without a scale, and they are just right in front of you.
Guessing What Is The Size Of A Specific Portion
Your hands are the best way to compare food portions. Since your hand is a part of your body, it will always be available when estimating. However, not all hands are the same, and that is why the best way to do this is measuring portions and comparing it to your hand to give you a better idea of what a proper portion of food size would be. There are several guidelines when trying to estimate a food portion.
- If your hands are cupped together, this should be as close to two cups of a meal. In general, this should be the size of your entire meal.
- One fist is equivalent to a cup or 8oz. The bigger your hand, the higher oz it will be.
- One cupped palm is equivalent to half a cup.
- The size of your palm should be equivalent to 3oz.
- The tip of your thumb is close to a tablespoon.
- The tip of your index finger is the size of a teaspoon.
Portioning Out Your Plate
Another easy way to have a better idea of food portions is by dividing your plate. Dividing a plate means:
- ¼ of the plate should be your protein-based dishes.
- ½ of the plate should be your fruits and vegetables.
- ¼ is for starch-derived foods.
Take note that half of the plate shouldn’t be comprised of fruits alone. It should be mixed with veggies. But taking half of the plate with veggies is recommended. Although having a kitchen scale is beneficial, learning how to measure food portions without a scale is of great help as well.
Compare Portion Sizes To Your Favorite Sporting Materials
If you have small or large hands, then you might want to compare food portions with your favorite sporting items such as tennis balls, golf balls, billiard balls, and many more.
- The size of a softball is roughly around 2 cups.
- The size of a baseball is around a cup.
- The tennis ball is around half a cup.
- Golf ball is close to 2 tablespoons.
- Four dice are equivalent to an ounce.
Practice Makes Perfect
Besides comparing your food portions with your hand or favorite sporting materials, the best way to improve your ability to estimate portion is to constantly practice at home. To do so, get your measuring cups and spoons and try out various sizes of food portions when preparing your meals; always take a closer look at how the portions look.
After that, measure it out again the next week to help calibrate different food portion sizes. You’ll master this in no time.
Tips and Tricks in Controlling Portions Size
Learning the basic ways on how to measure food portions without a scale means you are conscious about your food intake, right? If you don’t have a scale, there are also tricks and hacks to know how much servings are there in food.
- Always read food labels. If you happen to eat in areas outside of your home wherein there’s no weighing scale, then go for items with labels. Most likely, you’ll see the serving size for each food you eat. This will give you additional information on how much you will eat.
- Use smaller plates and utensils. Using large plates and cups may make your food portions look smaller than their actual size, leading to inaccurate estimation. But if you use smaller plates and utensils, food placed over the plate may look larger than the actual size.
- Go for pre-packaged items. If there's no place to go, then go for pre-packaged items and let the store do it for you. And this is because they are already pre-portioned.
- Master the art of learning how to measure food portions without a scale.
Measuring the food portion without having a scale is a pain in the head. And that’s why if you don’t have any scales to measure out your portions, then you must learn how to measure food portions without a scale.
Monitoring and controlling what food you eat is an essential thing you must do to have a healthier lifestyle. Besides doing exercises and other activities, eating healthy foods containing plenty of vitamins and minerals will go a long way. Know more about measuring tools.
Most bakers, professionals and amateurs alike, understand the importance and function of the best digital kitchen scale.
Whether you are baking your favorite baked product, a pot of soup, or preparing something for dinner, you’ll probably need a measuring cup or spoon to follow the recipe accurately.
There are tons of recipes that would benefit from using a kitchen scale. You can use a kitchen scale instead of measuring cups to measure flour, as it would give a far more accurate measurement than spoons and cups.