How To Disinfect Wood Cutting Board For Spotless Cooking
Cutting ingredients on a plate or any flat surface may seem doable. One of the downsides of doing this is you might scrape the coating on the plate and mix it with the food. Also, they might slide off from the flat surface. Therefore, doing this is not safe for our health. They are also why we need to use a cutting board to prepare the ingredients. This article will teach you how to disinfect wood cutting board to keep it clean and free from any bacteria and germs after use. If you want to keep your family safe from getting sick, read on.
What Makes a Good Cutting Board?
The cutting board has been very useful to us over the years. Whenever we cook or bake, it is always on our side. Most of us can't even imagine cooking without it every day because it does make the cooking task easy. Without the cutting board, it will be hard for us to cut uniformly and precisely. But how can you tell if the cutting board is good? We have provided some tips below:
- The best size for a cutting board to use is 15 x 20 inches. So, it is enough for you to cut big portions.
- It should help you prolong the lifespan of your knives. Bad quality cutting boards will make the blade of your knife dull easily.
- It should be sturdy enough so when you try to crush hard shells and other hard ingredients, it won’t split into two.
- It should be antimicrobial. You can easily spot a cheap cutting board. If molds grow quickly, it is a huge red flag.
- It should not chip even after using it for months. When you get the affordable ones, you will notice the difference after washing it. The wood will start to chip and mix with the food.
- The best wood for cutting boards is from walnut trees. This can resist water and durable.
- Plastic and ceramic cutting boards can be used for cutting, but they aren't that safe to use because the bacteria penetrate easily.
Steps on How to Disinfect Wood Cutting Board
Prepare the Materials
The materials you need to disinfect your cutting board are easy to find in your kitchen or stock room. Once you completed this list below, you're ready for the next step.
What You Need
- Hydrogen peroxide or pure white vinegar
- Hot water
- Clean cloth
- Kosher salt or baking soda
- Cutting board
Now, our spotless technique on how to disinfect wood cutting board. Don’t worry because this is not hard to accomplish. Just follow the steps below:
What to Do
- Get your basin.
- Pour the clean water and pure white vinegar or a few drops of hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak in the clean cloth.
- Get your cutting board.
- Wipe it up and down.
- Do not rinse it yet. Let it sit for a while.
- Sprinkle some kosher salt or baking soda on the parts where there are stains.
- Rub it nicely and add the pure lemon juice.
- This will help you eliminate not just the stain but also the smell.
- Rinse it well with hot water.
- Wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
- Allow it to dry overnight in an upright position above the clean cloth.
If you thought seasoning is only for woks and pizza stones, well, surprise! You can also do it on wood cutting boards, especially those made from walnut trees. This will help you prevent the bacteria from sitting on the surface. Plus, it will protect your cutting board from moisture, odor, and stains. Here’s how to do it:
What to Do
- Get a good coconut oil.
- Do not use olive oil or cooking oil because it will affect the taste of the food.
- Get a saucepan and the oil.
- Get a tissue roll.
- Make sure that your cutting board is clean and dry.
- Rub the oil to the cutting board in a circular motion.
- Do it all over your cutting board.
- Do it 2 to 3x, and it's good to be stored or use.
- Now that’s how to disinfect wood cutting board!
Cooking can lead to disaster if you do not keep your tools clean. The bacteria and germs residing on it can harm you and your family. Now that you already know how to disinfect wood cutting board, you can keep your family safe and healthy. Plus, you can keep on cooking what you love and loving what you cook without having to worry about any health problems. Happy cooking! Here's how to learn more about cutting boards.
A cutting board is a primary tool in a kitchen. It is made so that the countertops will be safe from knife scratching or cutting. It also aids the kitchen work – from cutting to preparing the food.
Cutting ingredients on a plate or any flat surface may seem doable. One of the downsides of doing this is you might scrape the coating on the plate and mix it with the food. Also, they might slide off from the flat surface. Therefore, doing this is not safe for our health.