How To Cure A Wok Pan: An Easy Step-By-Step Guide
We often see skilled chefs in several cooking shows using huge woks by throwing in all the ingredients. It may look simple and fun, but reality will give you a hard knock when you try to do it at home. You can solve this easily if you know how to cure a wok pan! Curing is why the food you cook with the wok looks and tastes different from merely following the recipe. In this article, we will teach you how, so read on.
Why Should You Have a Wok Pan in Your Kitchen?
There are casseroles, saucepan, frying pan, and other different kitchenware. Perhaps you think these are all good and enough until you saw the Wok pan in the commercial. Since it is quite different from other kitchenware, you may be hesitant to buy it because it might just be a waste of money. We bet you need some reasons that will help you decide, so here we made a list below:
- In terms of healthy cooking, Wok pan does a good job compared to your traditional frying pan.
- It’s like no other because you can use it when smoking food, steaming, deep-frying, braising, and stewing.
- It will allow you to cook large portions for your whole family.
- It will allow you to cook different cuisines because of its sturdy, huge, and unique design.
- It encourages even cooking to the food, so there's no doubt that the meat and other ingredients are tender.
- Compared to other cooking wares, it has the best heat retention. All thanks to its unique curve shape.
- It is usually handmade and forged by fire so that it will last longer.
- It will make your food taste even better because the flavor of each ingredient you put in blends well with the other.
- It cooks faster and more secure!
Do you still want to know how to cure a wok pan? Here are the steps below:
Steps on How to Cure a Wok Pan
Prepare the Materials
Your mission to treat your wok pan will only be effective if you have the materials needed. We made a list below, so make sure you have them all if you want the process to become successful:
What You Need
- Mild soap
- Scouring pad with a sponge
- Wire scouring pad
- Clean cloth
- Aluminum foil
Clean It First!
The first step on how to cure a wok pan is by cleaning it first. Here are the steps below on how you should do it.
What to Do
- Rinse your wok with water
- Make a cleaning solution by adding water and mild soap to the basin.
- Give it a good scrub all around using the scouring pad.
- Remove the stubborn impurities by dipping the wire scouring pad into the cleaning solution.
- Wash the wok in running water.
- Get a clean cloth and wipe the wok.
Time for Curing!
You are done with the cleaning process. Now it is time for you to cure it.\
What to Do
- When it is dry, get an aluminum foil and wrap it around the handle.
- Put it above the stove and set it on high heat.
- The color will change, and that's normal.
- Just tilt it on different angles to make sure that no impurities or industrial oil will be left.
- Make sure that all areas of the wok are evenly and properly heated.
- This will take time because you will notice the difference in the color. As you've noticed, while it is being heated, it turned from silver to black.
- Once you see that your wok turned black except for the handles, and a bluish tint appears when you tilt it, that’s the time when you should turn off the heat.
- Get a clean cup of water and slowly drizzle it to help the wok cool down.
- Once it cools, put it on your sink and start scrubbing.
- Rinse it well and put it back on the stove.
- This time, put it on medium heat.
- Before it completely dries, turn the heat to low and sprinkle a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Get a tissue paper and turn down the heat.
- Start wiping the oil around the wok.
- Heat it again and make sure that there are no traces of oil.
- Now that’s how to cure a wok pan!
Cooking with a wok pan can be exciting because it gives you ample space to put all the ingredients you want to add. Aside from that, the food tastes better when you use it. Now that you already know how to cure a wok pan, you can be sure that it will help you cook delicious meals. All you need to do is follow the steps we have provided, and you are good to go. Know more about wok pans.
Stainless steel is known for its durable nature. That’s why it’s not surprising that this material is widely used for most of our tools and devices.