How To Clean Electric Tea Kettle
Electric tea kettles are one of the most convenient and efficient kitchen appliances for your daily tea time. If you don’t regularly clean your kettle, tea deposits will continue to build up that can spoil your drink. A dirty kettle will also affect your appliance’s performance and might also shorten its service life. That is why it is worth giving it a thorough clean. Keep reading to learn how to clean electric tea kettle.
Steps to Clean an Electric Tea Kettle
- Scrubby brush
- Microfiber cloth
- White vinegar
- The first step on how to clean electric tea kettle is to make your cleaning solution. Do it by mixing the water and vinegar. Make sure that to measure the liquids in equal parts by using a measuring cup.
- After mixing the solution, gradually pour it into the tea kettle and let it settle.
- Next, turn on your tea kettle and let the solution boil. After boiling, turn off the kettle and let it cool for a moment. Don’t forget to unplug your appliance.
- After cooling it down, it’s time to clean the exterior part of your tea kettle. Do it by soaking the microfiber cloth into the mixture and wipe the outer surface thoroughly.
- The interior part of your tea kettle needs scrubbing. Keep the solution inside and use a brush to do it and ensure all corners are brushed.
- After brushing, drain the solution from the kettle, and rinse it with water. Make sure that you rinse out all the liquid solution.
- Finally, boil plain water on your tea kettle and drain it out to remove the vinegar odor.
How Often Do You Need to Clean Electric Tea Kettle?
How often you need to clean your electric tea kettle depends on how often you are using it. Wipe down visible smudges on your kettle's exterior part whenever necessary. If there are no visible streaks, simply wipe it every week. If you are using your tea kettle every day, it needs thorough cleaning to remove tea and water deposits every three months. For safety purposes, read your appliance's user manual for cleaning guides and suggestions.
Electric Tea Kettle Maintenance Tips
Besides learning how to clean electric tea kettle, you also need to know some tips on properly maintaining your appliance. Proper maintenance will keep your appliance in good condition and extend your electric kettle’s service life.
- Drain leftover tea and water after every use. Leaving them sitting inside for long will only increase the chance of deposit build-up. Make it a habit to pour out leftover liquids. It is also ideal for boiling the exact amount of water you need to avoid leftovers and eliminate water waste.
- Because you are using an electric kettle, always protect its heating element from water. Never immerse your appliance in water for cleaning purposes.
- It is best to clean the exterior part of your tea kettle at least once a week, even without visible dirt. It will keep it shiny and look good as new.
- Always remember that a clean kettle is more efficient and will use less energy than an uncleaned one. It will also help prevent potential appliance damage. You need to know how to clean electric tea kettle the proper way so you can avoid buying one unnecessarily.
- If you are going to use your tea kettle to boil water, use distilled water as much as possible. Distilled water does not contain minerals like calcium and magnesium that is common in tap water. It is a way to minimize the mineral deposit in your kettle, which is to your advantage.
Why Do Kettles Get Scaly?
Kettles naturally get scaly or develop “furring” when it is not cleaned for months. It is because of the mineral deposits that settle on the bottom. When you boil water on the kettle, the water minerals tend to fall to the bottom, especially when you use hard water or the type of water that contains lots of minerals. Too many deposits lead to scales and may mess up with your electric kettle’s heating element. When your tea kettle did not work the same way when it was still new, it probably needs a thorough cleaning.
Electric tea kettles can boil your tea more conveniently and faster than stove-top kettle or microwave. As with any other appliance you have at home, it needs regular cleaning to keep its shape and in good condition. It is necessary to know how to clean electric tea kettle because mineral build-up can cause scales on your kettle, and it will affect the heating performance of your electric kettle and affect the taste of your morning tea. Here's how to learn more about tea kettles.