Eating salads is an excellent way to start a healthy living. However, washing veggies and lettuces for salads can be time-consuming. Luckily, there’s a salad spinner to do the chores for you. Salad spinner washes and cleans lettuces easily. It also enables the spinner to dry the lettuces. That’s why it’s imperative to know how to use a salad spinner to keep your veggies clean. Also, I will give you some tips on how to clean salad spinner lid properly so you can be sure your salad is immaculate.
What Is A Salad Spinner?
A salad spinner consists of a lid, a colander-like strainer basket, a large plastic bowl with a spinning mechanism. The device allows the lettuces and other soft veggies to drain excess water as it spins so you can make balanced and crisp salads. The salad spinner does an excellent job by drawing the water apart from the veggies. Without damaging or tearing into pieces the veggies, the salad spinner uses a centrifugal mechanism to dry the lettuces.
The strainer like basket comes with holes. It extracts the water from the veggies as the greens fly off around the container. Unwashed veggies can be harmful to your health. Certain viruses and bacteria from unwashed veggies can be harmful to your health. These bacteria and improper food handle can cause food contamination, spoilage, and poisoning. That’s why it’s imperative to know how to clean salad spinner lid to help to eliminate these health hazards.
How To Clean Salad Spinner Lid
The salad spinner’s basket comes with holes and is identical to a colander that rests inside the device. It also serves as a serving container inside the bowl. The spinner basket is absorbent and veggie leaves likely to get stuck in the gaps. Cleaning the device takes a bit of time and patience.
Cleaning Salad Spinner by Hand
- Unfasten the salad spinner’s lid and the attached pump from the basket. Place the basket inside the colander.
- Pour some antibacterial dishwashing soap inside the spinner’s basket, and run the faucet. Shake the basket to clear any stuck soap.
- Fill the colander and basket halfway with hot water.
- Put the spinner’s lid back and pump back the colander.
- Push down the spinner’s pump to move the basket.
- Run the spinner with water to remove any soap from the device.
- Unfasten the lid when the basket has finished spinning. Drain any soap or water left inside the colander.
- To extract any food spot left from the basket, wash it with a sponge. Rinse the lid, colander, and basket.
- Dry the salad spinner with a cloth or towel.
Cleaning The Salad Spinner In the Dishwasher
- Unfasten the spinner’s colander, lid, and basket. Do not remove the pump from the lid.
- Take apart the basket from the colander.
- Place the detached parts on the dishwasher’s top rack. You can place them on the bottom rack if they can’t fit on the top shelf.
- Pour some dishwasher soap on the dishwasher’s repository container.
- Run the regular washing cycle. Wait for the cycle to complete and thoroughly dry all the spinner’s parts.
Features of Salad Spinner
Here are some factors to consider if you are looking for the best salad spinner to make sure you get a value-for-money piece.
- Capacity and Storage
It’s essential to count the individuals in your family when picking the right product. There are different salad spinner capacity you should consider before buying one. A 2-quart spinner is suitable for two servings. Buy the 3-quart salad spinner if you’re serving four persons. You can opt for a 5-quarter spinner if you’re planning to feed a crowd. Salad spinner also comes with a portable and compact design making it suitable for small kitchen space. You can also choose to buy a smaller model for safe storage.
- Spinning Mechanism
It is less effort to run a salad spinner with a spin knob, but the pull-cord spinner works extremely fast. Salad spinner does an excellent job of cleaning and washing the lettuce and veggies. You should have no problem finding the right one for your needs.
- Easy to Clean
Most spinners are required to wash them by hand, but they are also dishwasher-safe. You can easily rinse or spray food particles left on the basket. Cleaning spinners through the dishwasher may save more time, but some parts may get damaged. To extend the spinner’s lifespan, it’s essential to know how to clean salad spinner lid.
- Locking Lid/Cover
The centrifugal mechanism produces a bit of speed, and if the lid is not completely locked, there’ll be spilling lettuce all over the place. I recommend finding an easy-snap cover to lock the lid securely.
- Food-Safe Plastic
Choosing a food-safe plastic is vital in any model you need to buy. This feature prevents any harmful toxins or food contamination in your veggies.
How To Use The Salad Spinner
Salad spinners are divided into two groups; the salad spinner with a plunger and with a hand crank. Some models operate with a pull cord or a string. Place the veggies in the colander, fill the spinner with a water cup, and then spin the greens. Let the veggies sit for a few minutes to remove any remaining water. Spin the green until it’s spotless.
It’s not complicated to use a salad spinner compared to other kitchen tools. You can safely wash your greens with the salad spinner to ensure the dressings and oils will hang well with the veggies. Your lettuce will not be bruised, thus leaving you with a flavorful salad. Keeping the device in top condition requires you to know how to clean salad spinner lid properly.
Although salad spinner’s feature and prices can vary, the ease of operation, quality of materials leads to a successful spin-drying. It’s also important to know how to clean salad spinner lid to enjoy a healthy and clean salad every time you use it. Know more about salad spinners.