You will find this simple yet worthy tool in almost every kitchen. Our cooking is incomplete without a good cutting board. Not only do these boards provide you with compatible ways to cut and prepare meat or veggies for your delicacy, but they also keep your countertop in good shape. Whether it’s a small house kitchen or a restaurant cooking area, cleaning your cutting board is what you should never forget. A dirty or not correctly cleaned cutting board can be a reason for cross-contamination. Hence, you need to work on the cleaning of your cutting board, despite its material.
The Two Most Common Cutting Board Types
There are two common choices for these boards, wood and plastic. Both are good in their ways, but wood cutting boards are considered to be safer than others. You can keep your plastic boards for vegetable and fruit cutting if you don’t want to stop using them.
Both these cutting board types have different cleaning ways so that you can get rid of all those harmful bacteria and organisms for food safety. Proper cleaning and maintenance are a must, and to help you out; we are here with effective cleaning ways for your cutting board.
How To Wash Plastic Cutting Boards
Plastic cutting boards are a favorite because of their non-porous surface, which doesn’t allow bacteria to live inside. Also, they are dishwasher safe to make the cleaning convenient. But that doesn’t mean there is no place for the bacteria to breed. Such boards are more prone to scratches and temperature effects. Frequent exposure to higher temperatures and usage of sharper knives can easily destroy your board. Therefore, proper maintenance can help you extend their life span.
There are two convenient ways to clean your plastic cutting boards:
- Cleaning with a sanitizing solution: Handwashing your cutting board will increase the life span; therefore, make a sanitizing solution by adding 1 tsp of bleach in one quart of water. With the help of a soft sponge, rub the solution to eliminate all the impurities off your board. Rinse thoroughly with hot water and let it dry before you keep it inside or use it again.
- Cleaning with stain removal solution: Now that you know how to clean the plastic cutting board, it is essential to understand how to remove all those stains. Mixing 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of baking soda in warm water will work wonders for all those pesky stains and smells.
How to Clean Wood Cutting Boards
Wooden cutting boards are considered to be highly durable and long-lasting. But the surface is porous, which means you are inviting bacteria. Well, there is nothing to worry about if you are taking good care of your cutting boards by cleaning and maintaining them. It would be best if you only handwash them, and for that, the following ways are helpful to decrease chances of cross-contamination:
- Using soap water: It is the easiest and simplest cleaning method for your wooden cutting board. After every use, you have to use some dish wash and water to clean the board properly. Don’t forget to use a towel to dry your board so that water doesn’t sit in the porous board material.
- Soda and water: Well, this sounds cool. If you want to get rid of all those stains and smells, it’s time to utilize your baking soda and water solution. Scrub the solution on the surface properly and let it sit for a few minutes; wash with warm water until it’s thoroughly cleaned.
For After Wash Maintenance:
You are done with the cleaning process, but what should you do after? Buy an excellent food-grade mineral oil and spread it evenly on the top of the surface; you can also use a dry cloth to wipe off excess oil.
Wooden or Plastic? Which One is Appropriate for You?
It is one of the most discussed topics, and the answer is the one that suits you the best. But how do you know which one will fulfil your needs better? We will mention the pros and cons of both cutting boards to help you figure out the most appropriate one.
Wooden ones are economical choices when it comes to the high-quality. Well, every board has some pros and cons.
- These boards are designed to last for years because of their durable construction. Not for a lifetime, but they are great for extended periods. Even if there are issues, you can quickly solve them with your hacks.
- If you are a BBQ lover you will fall for these wooden boards because of the grilling convenience they provide.
- Walnut and maple wood boards are suitable for your knives. They won’t harm the sharper blades of your knives.
- Your wood board is safe to use until it has deep grooves.
- The appearance of kitchen tools doesn’t matter; many of us think this way. But we all know such things somehow attract and tempt us to use the kitchen more often. The pleasant feeling we get from wooden cutting boards is something we can’t ignore.
- With all the impressive features, there are some drawbacks to using such boards as well. You can’t afford to ignore the proper maintenance because this organic material requires your attention.
- Applying food-grade mineral oil is a must after usage, or else you will notice cracks or warping.
- Cleaning can be challenging at times.
Plastic Cutting Boards
Plastic cutting boards attract buyers because of their highly reasonable price ranges and weight. And it doesn’t stop there. These easy-to-clean boards can last for long if you care for them.
- They are cheaper than wooden boards. You can buy them without thinking about your budget. Plastic boards are designed to be a pocket-friendly board option.
- If you are in search of something light and space-saving, these are the ones. Their lightweight feature lets you handle and wash them with ease.
- Unlike wooden boards, they can tolerate high temperatures and frequent dishwashing.
- You can easily handwash them too. The only thing you need to focus on here is gentle but thorough cleaning.
- Though it is gentle on knife edges, it can get damaged easily. The usage of sharper knives can destroy the surface, requiring you to replace the board.
- The cuts and scratches of these boards are a perfect habitat for bacteria, which is not even easy to clean sometimes.
- They are not so durable, which means you may need to get a new one only after a few months depending on your usage.
Types of cutting boards don’t even matter if you don’t know how to clean and maintain your cutting board. Your properly cleaned and stain-free cutting board is a satisfying tool to prepare various food items. Never think that your board doesn’t need your attention. Thorough cleaning can save you from cross-contamination. Also, choosing suitable cutting board materials according to your needs and preferences will help you work better. Therefore, go through the above writing piece and choose the best for you to have a hygienic meal every time. Learn more easy kitchen hacks here!