How To Care For Wooden Cutting Boards To Last Long
Wooden cutting boards often go hand in hand with your chef's knife. If you often use your knife for cutting and food preparation, you might frequently use your wooden cutting board. Just like all your other kitchen tools and devices, your wooden cutting board also needs maintenance and proper cleaning to last long. In this article, you will learn the basics of how to care for wooden cutting boards.
Why Use a Wooden Cutting Board?
Most home cooks prefer wooden cutting boards because of its aesthetics and last longer than plastic cutting boards. Also, plastic cutting boards tend to rough up over time, leading to needing to throw it away. On the other hand, wooden cutting boards help maintain a sharp knife-edge, and it can also last for a very long time as long as they know how to care for wooden cutting boards.
They are also versatile since you can use them as a tray to serve food for small gatherings. Although it needs a few maintenance routines, it’s still a better investment that will surely benefit any kitchen.
In terms of safety, plastic also tends to be contaminated more easily by bacteria than wood material. Thus, the wooden cutting board is much safer to use.
Maintenance and Care Tips
Figuring out how to care for wooden cutting boards requires more effort than plastic ones. However, once you do it properly, you'll have a reliable wooden board for the years to come. Here are some tips on how to care for wooden cutting boards:
- Use hot and soapy water to clean your wooden board after use.
- Never soak your wooden board too long in water to avoid cracks and warps.
- If used for cutting raw meat, use a mild bleach solution to prevent bacterial contamination.
- Oiling helps keep the shape of your wooden cutting board since it prevents it from drying out.
- Oil, your cutting board, once a week, or once a month, depending on the frequency of use.
How to Oil Your Wooden Cutting Board
How to care for wooden cutting boards also include oiling. Thus, choose a food-grade oil to prevent rancidity. Most people opt for mineral oil since it's readily available and also affordable. Another option is to use cutting boards creams that are specially made for wooden board maintenance. Here are simple steps to oil your wooden cutting board:
- Clean your wooden cutting board thoroughly. A mentioned earlier, you can use hot soapy water to give your board a good scrub. Make sure to get rid of any stains and food particles.
- Let the wooden board dry completely.
- Apply your chosen food-grade oil or cutting board cream using a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Leave the oil or cream to soak in the wooden board. If possible, leave it overnight.
- Wipe the excess oil and cream with a dry and clean cloth. Make sure to buff the remaining oil to prevent the wood from being sticky or damp.
When to Get a New Wooden Cutting Board
Knowing how to care for wooden cutting boards properly allows you to enjoy this tool for a long time. A regular maintenance routine will keep your board usable for an extended period. However, it may not always be the case.
Sometimes, wooden cutting boards get cuts and signs of wearing out. You can try sanding out these cuts to prevent them from getting bigger or deeper. Also, wood can warp over time. If you see your board with deep cuts and warping, it might be time to let it go. Cracks can be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can cause your food from spoiling. Thus, get yourself a new one to save you from possible sickness. Here's how to learn more about cutting boards.
Aside from your knife, a wooden cutting board also serves a great purpose in your food preparation. Without a good and reliable cutting board, chopping, slicing, and cutting won't be convenient. Therefore, to make sure your tool is in its best performance, learning how to care for wooden cutting boards will help a lot.
Giving extra effort in taking care of your things and stuff can help you save on expenses since you won't need to buy a new kitchen tool often. The care tips provided above are not very complicated to do. You need to keep a regular schedule in terms of cleaning and maintenance to ensure lasting use.
There are many types of boards out there, and you will know how quickly you can get overwhelmed by it. If you plan to make your homemade cutting board, you should know what the best wood for a cutting board is.
A cutting board is a primary tool in a kitchen. It is made so that the countertops will be safe from knife scratching or cutting. It also aids the kitchen work – from cutting to preparing the food.