How Many Mixing Bowls Do I Need – How Many Is Too Many?
A complete set of mixing bowls is indispensable when you’re whipping a batch of cookies or preparing sauces. You need enough of them to ensure that all your ingredients are in order. If you’re in the process of stocking your kitchen, you might be asking yourself, “How many mixing bowls do I need?”
The answer to this question depends on your cooking style and frequency. Here’s everything you need to know when picking out mixing bowls.
Types of Mixing Bowls
Before answering the question, “How many mixing bowls do I need?” you should first know what types are available out there. Here’s a quick rundown of the common types of mixing bowls, categorized according to their material.
- Stainless steel mixing bowls are lightweight and easy to maneuver. They’re very durable and don’t easily chip or break, even with daily use. They also don’t retain odors, which is a problem for a lot of plastic bowls.
- Glass mixing bowls are great if you’re planning to use them with microwave since they’re non-conductive and heat-proof. However, they’re more prone to chipping. It’s best to purchase those made from tempered glass to prevent breakage from slippery hands.
- Copper mixing bowls are great to have in any kitchen because they look attractive. Moreover, they react to copper ions, so they’re ideal when you’re whipping some eggs. However, they can get quite costly, especially if you’re planning to purchase a set.
- Wooden bowls are highly recommended if you frequently serve and eat salads. Although this type tends to retain odors and flavors, it can be beneficial for you because it can add more flavor to the salads you make.
Choosing Mixing Bowls
The answer to the question, “How many mixing bowls do I need?” depends on several factors. Some of these considerations are size, intended use, shape, weight, and other essential features that can significantly affect your food prep experience.
Check out the tips below to help you pick out the best bowls for your kitchen:
- Choose durable bowls. Given the amount of force they’re required to withstand, your bowls shouldn’t chip, dent, crack, or warp easily. Pick a set that will stay in top condition for a very long time.
- Go for bowls that don’t stain easily or retain odors and flavors. This is quite common with plastic bowls, so try to look for other materials that are resistant to such.
- Depending on how you’re planning to use the bowls, pay attention to how deep they are. For example, deeper bowls are recommended for baking tasks, such as hydrating doughs or stirring batters. Shallower bowls are great for non-baking tasks, like creasing chicken or whisking creams.
If you find yourself asking the question, “How many mixing bowls do I need?” remember that it’s a good idea to purchase a set that already has all the bowls you could possibly need. In doing so, you’d spend less time wondering whether you’re missing something or having more than you actually use. Find out more about mixing bowls.
Whether you are just learning how to cook or a long-time professional chef, a large mixing bowl is a necessity. It is needed for many purposes, from mixing different ingredients to form a dough for your bread.
Having the best kitchen bowls is an easy way to start your cooking regimen. A kitchen bowl is a versatile kitchenware that helps you with many things, from mixing different ingredients to storing various dishes.
Many times you may have used aluminum foil or plastic cling wraps to cover your bowls. They do the job, yes. However, a reusable fabric cover is a more eco-friendly choice as it is washable and reusable