When we talk about Japanese knives, they give us images of the samurai’s blade. There is a truth in this impression. Japanese blades have thin and sharp edges that are hard and don’t need frequent sharpening. Like the artistry in a samurai sword, a Japanese knife has a fragility that needs extra care and attention. Therefore, it is the knife of choice for many professionals and enthusiasts. This article will show you the seven best Japanese bread knives because even delicate food items need the best blades.
|Tojiro Bread Slicer 235mm F-737||If you’re looking for a sleek and sharp knife with a classic wooden grip, the Tojiro bread slicer is the right one for you.|
|Mercer Culinary Millennia Wide Wavy Edge Bread Knife||Get a good grip as you slice through bread with the Mercer Culinary Millenia Bread Knife.|
|Zelite Infinity Bread Knife 8 Inch||If you’re looking for a visually stunning, best-value-for-money-bread knife, the Zelite Bread Knife is just the one for you!|
|Kai Wasabi Black Bread Knife, 9-Inch||Get a feel of the Japanese blade potential with the Kai Wasabi Bread Knife.|
|TURWHO Serrated Bread Knife 8 Inch – Japanese 67-Layers Damascus Steel||Enjoy the style, elegance, and performance with the Turwho Bread Knife.|
|Bread Knife 8 inch by Oxford Chef||Make the most out of your cutting experience with the Oxford Chef Bread Knife.|
|DALSTRONG Bread Knife – Shogun Series||True to the name, you’ll need warrior performance when cutting bread with the help of a strong Bread Knife.|
Detailed Reviews of the 7 Best Japanese Bread Knives
Tojiro Bread Slicer 235mm F-737
If you’re looking for a sleek and sharp knife with a classic wooden grip, the Tojiro bread slicer is the right one for you.
This 235mm bread slicer comprises high carbon stainless steel, promising durability and a smooth slice. It cuts through with its serrated edge without deforming your bread. It has a classic design that’s familiar and easy to adjust to, with a wooden handle that adds to its aesthetic. This is why it is one of the best Japanese bread knife choices.
This bread knife is anti-rust, as long as it is well maintained. It can easily be hand washed using a mild detergent. It is lightweight despite its length and can hang with ease on your magnetic strip. It promises a no-squish, no-saw action since it cuts through any loaf of bread.
According to some users, the Tojiro bread slicer Is too sharp for comfort. Although that would normally be a good thing for knives, it can be a concern. Some users reported cutting their skin even during the unboxing and not noticing the gash until 2 hours later. We recommend that you handle this knife carefully and cautiously to avoid injury.
- It is more affordable than other Japanese bread knives in the market
- It is easy to clean and washes with a regular mild detergent
- It is extremely sharp and cuts through any bread with ease
- It is too sharp and needs extra cautiousness during use
- It flexes when forced through the hard crust
- It loses the sharp edge after months of use
Mercer Culinary Millennia Wide Wavy Edge Bread Knife
Get a good grip as you slice through bread with the Mercer Culinary Millenia Bread Knife.
This bread knife has an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to manage when you’re cutting. If you need to cut through a lot of bread, you’ll find comfort with its Santoprene and polypropylene materials that make it durable as well. It features a slip-resistant textured surface with a protective finger guard because you can never be too careful.
This high-quality Japanese steel blade promises smooth cuts and rapid sharpening. Its precision is designed for strength and durability. And paired with its ergonomic grip, you’ll be more productive. It has been tested and certified to provide only the best high-quality knives that are safe to use.
Japanese knives may be more challenging to maintain than other types, and the Mercer Culinary Millenia Bread Knife is not an exception. According to some users, some film is left on the cutting edge after slicing through bread, making it more challenging to clean.
- It is certified and tested for quality and safety
- It is made of rust-resistant and high-quality Japanese steel
- It has an excellent ergonomic grip to make cutting easier and more comfortable
- It leaves a film on the cutting edge, making it difficult to clean
- It is too sharp and may give you a gash if you’re not careful
- The packaging is not so impressive since it comes in a plastic case
Zelite Infinity Bread Knife 8 Inch
If you’re looking for a visually stunning, best-value-for-money-bread knife, the Zelite Bread Knife is just the one for you!
This sleek bread knife boasts extreme performance with its premium razor-sharp Japanese AUS 10 super steel that promises minimal slicing resistance for any loaf of bread. It uses the Japan Tsunami Rose Damascus Pattern that sets the serrated edge at 18 degrees so you won’t need to sharpen at all, landing it a spot as one of the best Japanese bread knife choices.
Besides the impressive blade, this bread knife also features a triple-rivet rounded handle that is ergonomically designed to give you a secure and comfortable grip. It is also adorned with metal mosaic rivets, making it an aesthetically pleasing addition to your household.
Japanese blades are known to be notoriously challenging to maintain because of the blades’ composition. Although the Zelite Bread Knife promises durability, wrong maintenance may cause it to break and nick easily.
- It uses premium, razor-sharp Japanese steel
- It uses a Japan Tsunami Rose Damascus pattern, so you won’t need to sharpen your knife
- It has an ergonomically designed handle for ultimate comfort
- It may be too large for some users
- The blade is too sharp and may slice your fingers
- The blades may nick and chip depending on how it is maintained
Kai Wasabi Black Bread Knife, 9-Inch
Get a feel of the Japanese blade potential with the Kai Wasabi Bread Knife.
This Japanese-style bread knife is made of high carbon, Japanese steel blade that ensures top performance in the kitchen. It is sharpened at a 16-degree cutting edge, common among Japanese blades, allowing smoother and sharper cuts.
This single-sided blade has a unique embellishment to capture a Japanese style. It has the word “wasabi,” which makes good conversation starters when you’re cutting bread in front of guests. The handle is made of a clean polypropylene blend, so it’s comfortable to hold while having an attractive finish. Unlike other blades, this knife is dishwasher safe and can save you a lot of time if you’re on the go.
Some Japanese blades are designed to be used for professional use. The Kai Wasabi Bread Knife is best for beginner work. This is because it needs additional sharpening and honing before using it at a professional capacity. The price range for this knife is reasonable for use at home, but anything beyond that need may not be enough.
- It is made of high carbon, Japanese steel that’s highly durable
- It has an aesthetic finish with a classic look
- It has a serrated edge that slices without damage
- It needs a few rounds of whetstone for heavy-duty work
- The aesthetic style is not as impressive as others
- It is a beginner knife and may not work well for professional use
TURWHO Serrated Bread Knife 8 Inch – Japanese 67-Layers Damascus Steel
Enjoy the style, elegance, and performance with the Turwho Bread Knife.
This bread knife is made of Japanese 67 layer Damascus steel, vacuum heat-treated, and cooled with liquid nitrogen. This process ensures the blade stays razor-sharp. It makes cutting bread easy. The serrated edge keeps the bread slice more fluffy while maintaining the bread’s surface permeability.
The handle is an important part of a knife. This bread slicer has a rare tapered bolster G10 handle that is ergonomically designed to lessen numbness and tiredness, even when used for extended periods. It is 8 inches, which is just the right length to handle bread slicing on all kinds of bread types.
The Damascus pattern on a knife is globally renowned for its highly-durable serration. According to some users, the Turwho Bread Knife pattern is not Damascus but a laser-etched pattern of the Damascus. We recommend that you check on this with the manufacturer before purchase.
- It has an ergonomically designed handle to lessen tiredness during use
- The serrated edges help make the bread more fluffy
- It is made of Japanese steel that’s durable and makes cutting easier
- According to some users, it uses a laser-etched Damascus pattern
- It needs to be whetted occasionally
- It cannot be used on the magnetic rack because of the stainless steel material
Bread Knife 8 inch by Oxford Chef
Make the most out of your cutting experience with the Oxford Chef Bread Knife.
This bread knife is made of Japanese VG-10 Super Steel that promises flexibility and maximum edge retention. It has 66 layers of high carbon stainless Damascus steel cladding that looks beautiful and does the work simultaneously. The steel is finished with a cryogenic nitrogen cooling process to ensure it’s hard and durable. This process is what makes the best Japanese bread knife a top choice for chefs and enthusiasts.
This slicing knife is designed with geometric perfection and boasts extreme sharpness. The serration has space and edge degree measurements that are ideal to ensure smooth cuts without tearing and crushing. The blade teeth are designed to cut through bread and cut through it smoothly without the added weight.
Like all other online purchases, the Oxford Chef Bread Knife has its shipping risks. Some items may arrive with damages and other scrapes and scratches. Some users have found this a hassle, especially since the item is not generally not packaged well. We recommend that you speak with the shipper to ensure it is packed well before shipment.
- It uses a military-grade G-10 handle that’s immune to cold, heat, and moisture
- It has a natural balance that makes it easy to use and manage
- It has a lifetime guarantee with free sharpening for life
- The handles may come with scrapes and indents
- It’s challenging to use a rocking motion with this knife
- It doesn’t come with a plastic edge cover for protection since it is challenging to store
DALSTRONG Bread Knife – Shogun Series
True to the name, you’ll need warrior performance when cutting bread with the help of a strong Bread Knife.
This professional bread knife is designed for minimal crumb dispersion, which is the essence of bread cutting. It can handle wide loaves, hard crusts, thick crusts, and soft loaves of bread. It has an extra-long blade that makes it easier to cut thin layers with single strokes.
This bread knife boasts a scalpel-like sharpness with perfect serrations. It is sharpened using the Honbazuke method to ensure durability and performance. It is rust and corrosion-resistant, so it stays cleaner for longer with an ergonomically designed spine to ensure a comfortable grip.
For some people, finding the right knife has everything to do with compatibility, and some users feel that the size of this knife is best suited for small hands. Although you’ll never know unless you try, we recommend that you check other reviews and ask other users to avoid future hassle.
- The steel is hardened using cryogenic tempering for strength
- It uses a military-grade G10 handle for increased durability
- It has a non-slip grip so that you can slice with ease
- The tang is too short and challenging to grab
- The knife is better suited for people with smaller hands
- It is too heavy for some users
The best Japanese bread knife is all about performance and user chemistry. Now that you know our top picks, you’ll never slice your bread the same boring way again. Find out more about knives.