Due to their adaptability and exciting colors, silicone utensils are becoming popular these days. Still, silicone is a synthetic substance, so you may be wondering – Are silicone kitchen utensils safe?
Is Silicone a Synthetic Substance?
Silicone differs from silicon (Si) which is commonly used as a semiconductor in making devices and other electronic equipment parts. They are very different from each other. Still, silicone does contain silicon atoms with properties of both metals and non-metals.
Advantages of Silicone Kitchen Utensils
Silicone kitchen utensils have characteristics that have advantages over their counterparts, like metal, plastic, rubber, or wood. Let’s consider its characteristics to find out if it’s worth using.
- High-heat resistance – One of the most important and popular characteristics of silicone is its high-heat resistance. No wonder silicone is used for a wide range of purposes. Silicone kitchen utensils can withstand up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and will not melt if left in a pot. There are also silicone potholders that are perfect for taking your dish out from a very hot oven. So are silicone kitchen utensils safe from a very high heat? Absolutely!
- Stain-resistant – One of its characteristics is it is stain-resistant. It doesn’t retain odors and even colors when you use it for cooking deep-colored food. That is why silicone products are easier to clean or wash. Are silicone kitchen utensils safe from microbial growth? If compared to a wooden spoon, which harbors microbial growth, this type of utensil is unsusceptible to microbial growth, making it safe for contact with food.
- Rubber-like – If you are also wondering if silicone kitchen utensils are safe from scratching or damaging non-stick surfaces, this is good news for you. Silicone utensils cannot scratch or damage non-stick surfaces because of their malleability which makes them user-friendly.
- Non-toxic and durable – Food grade silicone doesn’t react to food or beverages and is non-hazardous. That is why if you compare it to its counterparts that dissolve when exposed to acids in food, it is much safer to use. It will probably last longer than other kitchen utensils.
- Safe to use – Are silicone utensils toxic? Well, experts say that there are no known health hazards associated with using silicone cookware. Also, based on its characteristics above, we can definitely tell that it’s safe to use.
Food-grade silicone should be 100% silicone but what is worrying to a lot of people is that there are plenty of low-quality silicone utensils in the market today that add plastic fillers. So everyone must be careful in buying silicone kitchen utensils. Remember, pure silicone is inert and won’t leech toxic chemicals as you cook. Know more about kitchen utensils.
Silicone Kitchen Utensils Are Safe
So far, there is still no clear evidence that silicone kitchen utensils are bad for health. This is why the U.S. FDA labeled silicone utensils as GRAS or Generally Regarded as Safe. So the answer to the question, “Are silicone kitchen utensils safe?” is an absolute yes! But then again, as we all know, nothing lasts forever so don’t expose them to temperatures more than 600 degrees Fahrenheit.